Thursday, January 3, 2013

Growing

I think there comes a time in every writer's life when they realize their characters are more real than they seem.  For example, I have a book that I had the entire timeline for.  I knew which events had to happen when, and life was good.  Until I made the mistake of getting a very outspoken character involved.  She waltzed right in and said, "You know, I think I'm going to move things around a little."  We had a bit of an argument, which she won, and she proceeded to change things around while I sat in the background going, "But I though I was the author!!"  I've been very careful with her since then. :)
There are other ways for a character to become more real, however.  Recently I've been dealing with a character who has a lot of emotional baggage to deal with.  Suddenly, all by herself, with no push from me, she decided to grow up a bit.  I hadn't planned it, but as I wrote, I definitely felt her learning her lesson and saying, "Okay, yeah, I can do this."  These are the moments that make it worth being a writer.
Or they may be the moments that tell you I'm crazy!  Your choice!

Fare thee well, friend!
Mira

No comments:

Post a Comment