Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Books I Enjoy

Rereading The Rose Bride, I think I've finally figured out what kinds of books I really enjoy.  I mean, I like all kinds of books, but there are some certain books I read that just make me sigh in contentment every time I read them, and I finally realized why. 
I enjoy the books that take the characters to the very depths of despair, and then pull them out again to the light.  I love stories that make you really feel pain, but then show you that even that passes as well.  In The Rose Bride, SPOILER WARNING!!! the character, Rose, loses everything in her life, except the clothes on her back and a knife in her pocket.  There comes a point in the story where she has the chance to take her own life, but she chooses to move on, because she is promised that there is happiness waiting for her if only she will keep going.  That moment has always given me hope.  No matter what happens, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if we can't always see it. 
In the wise words of Samwise Gamgee:
Some people think writers are just daydreamers who never grew up.  The truth is, writers are daydreamers who have grown up, who have seen the pain and the hurt in this world, but have also seen the love and the hope, and they want to share it.

Fare thee well, friend!
Mira

No comments:

Post a Comment