Friday, February 22, 2013

A Mystery

I have debated about this post.  Should I do it?  Should I not?  Finally, I decided that, in order to spread the word about this most mysterious cause, I would post about it.  (Actually, I decided to post about it because it was the most interesting thing to happen to me yesterday. ;))
Yesterday I was walking to class when I ran into an old friend of mine, Berry.  She is an inspiration, in both spirituality and writing, and I was so happy to see her again!  We spoke for a minute, but she was actually having lunch with another friend, and I didn't want to bother her.  But as I was leaving, she told me to look up a website.  She wouldn't tell me what it was, but my curiosity had been piqued.  So later that day, when I had a fair amount of time before meeting with my freshman mentor, I decided to check this site out. 
I had no idea what was coming.
A screen popped up, congratulating me on finding "the key."  "Only the curious find the key," it proclaimed, "but only the truly passionate will ever find what it opens."  The site left a clue on where to find the next piece to this puzzling little puzzle: the second floor of my school library, and a library book call code (is that what they're called?  The Dewey Decimal numbers?).  I checked my watch: 45 minutes before my meeting.  With a gleam of adventure in my eye, I took the elevator to the second floor of the library.
Problem:  There were many sections to visit.  Where to go, where to go?  My first stop was at a help desk, where a kind young woman behind the desk looked at my call number and referred me to another section of the library.
I arrived at the suggested section, where I found where I thought the book might be.  No luck.  However, there was another help desk in this section, and I eventually wandered my way over to ask the attractive young man in charge if he could get me a title for this particular call number (before you start teasing me, I did not visit the help desk because I thought he was cute, he wasn't even there when I wandered over!).  Unfortunately, when he put the call number into the computer, he was informed that that particular call number was not in the library's database.
I would not give up so easily!  The very kind, attractive young man was willing to look for it in the correct section with me (I had been looking in the wrong spot before).  We looked, but found nothing.  He apologized for us not being able to find it and went back to his desk.  I decided to check the call number on the site and look one more time before heading up for my appointment.
Searching... searching... THERE!  Turns out we'd been looking under the wrong call number (I'm starting to think the attractive librarian was in on this...).
I stared for a moment, stunned to have found it.  Finally, I eagerly pulled the tome from its place on the shelf and opened it.  On the inside flap was the information I needed.  And now...
I wait.  For more information will be coming soon.
What?  You didn't think I was going to give away secret information like that on my public blog, now did you? ;)

Fare thee well, friend!
Mira

2 comments: