Monday, June 18, 2012

Where is it?!

So, back right after my seventeenth birthday, when I first got my laptop (named Percival, if anyone's interested), I wrote a story that is never ever ever going to be published, but it was still a story I really liked, and one of my friends really liked it too.  She asked if she could get a copy of it, and I said, "Yeah, sure, of course, if you liked it that much!"  To my frustration, however, Percy doesn't really get along with our printer.  It wouldn't print.
I kinda forgot about it.  Y'know, life happens.  School takes over.  However, for school, I had to get a hard drive for my photo class.  Didn't occur to me until halfway through the school-year, "Hey, I can use this drive with my story!"  Actually, it didn't even occur to me.  It occurred to Kay, who then asked me.  Except, I kind of forget things easily, and with school and everything, I never really got around to it.  Then... SUMMER!  The joyous time when you can throw school-work into the trash and relax.  Now I could finally take the time to put story on drive, which I named Cap. 
Except, there was a new problem.  Cap had gone missing.  In this past year, I have learned something about naming things.  You shouldn't name them after something whose characteristics you don't want it to take.  Kay's phone, Loki, committed suicide after being named after a trickster.  Cap disappeared after being named after a guy who was stuck in ice for seventy years.  Be careful what you name things.
In any case, Cap had gone missing, and we kept forgetting to put it on Kay's drive.  Then, two days ago, I was grabbing a bracelet I hadn't worn in a while, and there, underneath, was Cap!  I was so happy!  I had my Captain back!  So last night, before going to bed, I got on Percy to put the story on Cap.
Except.
It had been so long since I'd looked at the story, I couldn't seem to find it.  RAGE!!!  Why?!  I was furious!  I had spent a good deal of time on that story, and I was rather proud of it.  Not only that, I knew it was on this computer.  Where the freak had it gone?!
After looking around FOREVER, I decided there was only one thing left to do.  I prayed.
After that, I found the sequel to the story (which I had never finished, by the way), and using the sequel as a springboard, I was able to use the search button until, oh joy of joys, the story came up!  Guess it hadn't saved where I thought it had saved.  I was so happy!  Tender mercy!  I quickly saved it where it was SUPPOSED to be saved, as well as on Cap.  Hopefully printing it out today will go smoothly.

Fare thee well, friend!
Mira

No comments:

Post a Comment