Sunday, February 23, 2014

They All Look Stupid...

You know, you run across some interesting people when you work in the library...
Yesterday I was sorting books in the Jr. Mezzanine, when suddenly a little girl, probably about ten years old, comes up.
Her: "Hey, what are these?"
Me: "Uh, books that haven't been shelved yet.  Did you want to look at them?"
Her:  "Okay."  Three seconds later, "I don't think anyone will want these books."
Me: *eyebrows raising* "What?"
Her: "Nobody will want these?"
Me:  "...Why not?" as I glance over the books I've shelved over and over and over.  Trust me, people are reading these.
Her: "They just look stupid."  She points out one from a series I shelve nearly every time I volunteer.  "Like this?  This just looks stupid."
Me: "... Okay."  Go and find the kinds of books you actually want to read, then, and let me finish my perusal of my eventual competition in peace.

Fare thee well, friend!  And don't judge books by their cover!
Mira

4 comments:

  1. Sigh....Kids just don't like books anymore. I remember loving going to the library when i was younger--I still do! And that girl should know that you can't judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, she was interested in reading, she was just being SUPER judgemental about the books she was looking at. I was sorely tempted to tell her just how often I've had to shelve Skulduggery Pleasant (and let me tell you, that is no easy feat. Those books are huge, and if you can't get them to fit, you have a LOT of moving around to do).

      Delete
  2. Haha, don't let her get under your skin, Mira. Kids are just pickier about the books they read (or at least, I was). To be fair, some book covers are pretty weird. Although, if I had met her, it would've gone something like this:
    Girl: This book looks stupid.
    Me: You look stupid.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yeah, I do try not to insult guests directly (love Megamind!).

      Delete