Friday, October 18, 2013

Castle Amphitheater

So, I'm not actually too into Halloween.  I mean, I enjoy dressing up and eating pumpkin-flavored treats, but I've never really been into scaring myself. 
Until I met Ash. 
For those of you who haven't been following, Ash is the newest roommate in our apartment (and another writer, so that makes life interesting. ;)).  She LOVES Halloween, and it's starting to rub off.  Our apartment is now decorated with spiders and vampire portraits, and at some point closer to the actual holiday we're putting bloody footprints on the floor. 
Well, part of the Halloween fun is getting scared, right?  Well, it just so happens that near an old mental hospital in the next city over, there's a theater.  But not just a theater.  A castle.  A castle amphitheater sitting between the mountains and the mental hospital.
What better place to perform a Halloween show?
So Ash and I went to see Doctor Faustus.  It was fascinating!  Having never seen it before, I was enthralled!  I think the most interesting part was the way they showed how the devil works.  All throughout the play angels were trying to convince Faust to repent, but every time he hesitated, the devils would swarm in and tell him that he had no hope for repentance.  There were so many times everyone in the audience was shouting at him to repent (they wanted a very interactive audience), but he just refused to believe there was any hope for him.  It was really well done!
Well, I guess now it's on to the next Halloween experience: a haunted house.

Fare thee well, friend!
Mira

3 comments:

  1. I personally love Halloween, but that doesn't mean I enjoy getting scared. I just love the spirit of the holiday, which for me includes decorating and wearing costumes and having fun. I love cheesy Halloween movies, but not necessarily horror movies. I mean, we are authors, right? My imagination scares me enough some times, which is the problem: I'm not too scared when watching the movie, but then when it's time to go to bed, all of the sudden my imagination starts playing tricks on me.
    Have fun at the haunted house though! and question, is that the amphitheater next to the temple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not too close to the temple. I could see it when we got out of the parking lot, but only barely.

      Delete
  2. The best way to do a haunted house is to take a guy with you. Trust me on this one ;o)

    ReplyDelete