Friday, October 19, 2012

Written for Someone Else

So, a few weeks ago I had something really special happen, and I thought I would share it.
See, for those of you who don't know, my absolute favorite author is Shannon Hale.  She wrote The Goose Girl, Princess Academy, and most importantly for me, Forest Born.  A few years ago, I was struggling with a bit of depression.  I don't know how really serious it was.  I was never diagnosed with anything.  The point was I firmly believed that if I were to die, no one would ever care.
There were several things that helped me get through this period.  One of them was Shannon Hales Forest Born.  Everything about her character, Rin, was exactly the way I was feeling: invisible, unimportant, overlooked, and overshadowed by those more outgoing than myself.  Reading about Rin's journey and her learning about her own uniqueness and importance really helped me.  I think that book inspired me more than anything else I've read.
Well, a few weeks ago, I had the chance to meet Mrs. Hale.  She was doing book-signing at the local Barnes and Nobles.  I was so excited to finally have the chance to meet this woman who had changed my life!
I admit I was nervous at first.  How was I supposed to tell her how she'd helped me?  Was it even worth it?  Would she care?
I started simple.  I just had to know.  I asked her where her inspiration for Rin had come from.  Her answer stopped my heart.
She told me that all her other characters had been really easy, because she was writing them for herself.  Rin was difficult because, somehow, she felt like she was writing Rin for someone else.
There could be many girls Shannon Hale wrote Rin's story for.  But I know that if it was only written for one person in the world, that person was me.  Heavenly Father uses our abilities to strengthen others.  May we always remember the love that God has for us, and be willing to put out talents to His purposes, because He can make more of us than we could ever make of ourselves.

Fare thee well, friend!
Mira

No comments:

Post a Comment